Pet ownership comes with a lot of wonderful perks. Pets provide us with endless, unconditional love, and they keep us happy and healthy longer. Of course, owning a pet also requires a great deal of attention and care. You have to feed them, walk them, clean them, make sure they’re comfortable and ensure their overall health and safety.
It’s not always an easy job to care for a pet, but the benefits far outweigh the cons. And, to make life just a little easier on everyone, we’ve put together a list of 10 essential pet care hacks that every pet parent should know so that you can spend less time worrying and more time bonding.
General Pet Care Hacks
- Calming Your Dog During a Storm – Lots of pets, dogs in particular, tend to get worked up during the chaos of a storm. There are lots of scary, loud noises, but they might also be reacting to the built-up static electricity in their fur. To help calm them during a storm, you can try wrapping them up for added comfort and even try wrapping a dryer sheet around them to absorb some of that static.
- Storing Pet Food – Pets will undoubtedly take up a lot of space in your home. So, when it comes to storing their food, try storing it in air-tight containers that can easily fit into smaller spaces where giant bags of food otherwise wouldn’t. This will not only save you space but also help keep their food tasty and fresh.
- Preventing Sore Paws – Anytime the weather reaches extreme hot and cold temperatures, you want to protect your pets’ paws. So, try coating them in Vaseline before they head outside. This will help prevent cracking and chaffing in the harsh conditions.
- Keeping Your Pet Cool – It’s incredibly important to know how to regulate your pet’s body temperature when the temperature rises, particularly in animals with thick fur. You can help regulate this by giving them fruit in ice cubes when it’s hot out. This makes for a refreshing treat while also helping to control their body heat.
- Helping Senior Pets Eat – As your pet ages, they may start to suffer from tooth decay and other pains which can hinder their ability to eat their normal food. Try adding a little water to their food, maybe even warming it a bit, so that their meals are softer and they can stick to their usual diet with ease.
DIY Hacks & Entertainment
- Pet Beds – In just a few minutes, you can create a small sanctuary for your pet by simply using abandoned furniture (like an old TV case), crates or boxes. Add a cushion, matt or some blankets inside of the base of your chosen hideout, and just like that you’ve got a brand-new bed for your pet to enjoy.
- Scratching Post – If you don’t want to splurge on an expensive scratching post from the pet store, a simple solution is to gather some rope or string, and wrap it (and secure it) around the legs of a table or stand. It’s simple, acts just like a scratching post, and your cat will love it.
- Pill Pockets – If your pet has figured out how to miraculously eat around absolutely everything but their pills when given, you can easily make your own pill pockets at home. Create a tasty pill pocket by mixing together one tablespoon of milk, one tablespoon of peanut butter and two tablespoons of flour. Then, just mold it around the pill when needed, and voila!
- Paddling Pool – On a hot day a great way to keep your dog entertained is to find him or her a small paddling pool. Fill it with cool water, stock it with some of their favorite chew toys, and they will be kept cool and entertained for hours.
- Cat Playhouse – A fun way to keep your cat entertained is to make them a playhouse using a cardboard box. Keep it simple by cutting just a few holes in it, or make it elaborate, and build an entire fort. Either way, your cat will love playing in their very own playhouse.
With these easy hacks, you won’t have to worry about any of the stresses or hassles that come with daily care for your pet. You’ll be able to make life simpler and more enjoyable so that you and your furry loved one are spending more quality time together.