We all know dogs as man’s best friend, and they’re labeled that for good reason. They’re incredibly loyal, provide companionship and love us unconditionally. But, there’s much more than meets the eye with our little four-legged friends. For example, did you know that a dog’s sense of smell is more than 100,000 times stronger than a human’s? Or, did you know that there are actually breeds of dog that can’t bark?
Take a moment to learn a little more about your furry companion with these crazy facts that you never knew about dogs:
- A dog’s nose is the equivalent of a human’s fingerprint and can be used to identify them.
- Dogs only have 1,700 taste buds compared to humans who have 9,000.
- The only sweat glands that dogs have are between their paw pads.
- A dog’s sense of smell is more than 100,000 times stronger than a human’s.
- Dogs can see in the dark thanks to a special membrane in their eyes called the tapetum lucidum.
- Scientists have proven that dogs can really “smell” some types of cancer.
- Dogs have wet noses because they lick their them and absorb scent chemicals that help them smell better.
- When dogs interact with other dogs or humans, oxytocin (the love hormone) is released in their brains.
- Dogs curl up when they’re sleeping because of an ancient instinct that tells them to protect their vital organs when asleep.
- All dog breeds are descended from a species called the Tormarctus, a hyena-like creature that lived over 15 million years ago.
- The earliest dog fossils date back to 10,000 B.C.
- It’s estimated that in the U.S., one million dogs have actually been named as the primary beneficiaries of their owners’ will.
- The oldest dog to date lived to be 29 years and 5 months old.
- More than 1 in 3 families have a dog in the U.S.
- In 2002 more people were killed by dogs than sharks in the U.S.
- There are two dogs who have black tongues – the Chow Chow and the Sharpei.
- Greyhounds can run up to 45 miles per hour, making them the fastest dogs on earth.
- The Norwegian Lundehund is the only dog breed to have six toes on each foot.
- The Newfoundland dog breed was originally bred to help fishermen. They have a water-resistant coat and webbed feet.
- Bloodhounds have the ability to trace scents that are over 300 hours old.
- The Basenji, an African wolf dog, is the only breed of dog that can’t bark.
- Spiked dog collars originate from Ancient Greece where they were designed to protect dogs’ throats from wolf attacks.
- There’s a Border Collie named Chaser who can recognize 1,022 words.
- The first big Hollywood dogs star was Rin Tin Tin after he was rescued during the First World War.
- Abraham Lincoln’s dog, Fido, was also assassinated
Dogs are pretty remarkable animals! We think it’s safe to say that many of us would be lost without these extraordinary and lovable creatures in our lives.