This time of year is such a popular time for travel, and with that comes the need for a loving pet boarding facility with team members who will look after your best friend while you are away. We understand that your pet is part of your family, which means it can be very stressful to leave him or her in the hands of someone else. That is especially true when it’s your first time being away from them!
With all of that in mind, we’ve put together a list of things to keep in mind when choosing the right boarding facility for your pet. Hopefully, asking the right questions will give you the peace of mind you need in order to be able to enjoy your time away!
Questions to Ask When Choosing a Pet Boarding Facility
- May I schedule an appointment to tour the facility prior to our drop off date?
- What personal belongings (toys, blankets, bedding) may be left with my pet during his stay?
- Do I need to bring my pet’s food, or will you be providing it?
- How often do you allow dogs to go outdoors, and at what times of the day?
- For cats, how often do you change her food, water, and litter?
- Is your pet boarding facility climate controlled?
- How many hours per day will my pet be left unattended?
- If my pet becomes ill or stressed out during his or her stay, will veterinary staff be available to tend to her?
- Will I be permitted to call and check on my cat or dog during my time away?
In most cases, it’s best to choose a boarding facility that is directly associated with a veterinary clinic. This choice gives you added peace of mind by knowing that veterinary staff is on hand and ready to respond if needed. It’s also important to note that veterinarian-supervised boarding facilities tend to be more meticulous about parasite control and disease prevention, so you won’t have to worry about your pet bringing home any unwanted tag-alongs (no fleas, please!).
At Dade City Animal Hospital, we are proud of the care we provide to all of the animals who stay with us! Contact us to learn more about our boarding services or to schedule a visit to our facility.